A Guide to Different Types of Cannabis Products
As more dispensaries open up throughout the country, the variety of cannabis products keeps increasing. Flowers, oils, tinctures, concentrates, edibles, and more ⏤ different types of weed products can overwhelm new users and make choosing difficult for seasoned advocates.
How can you pick the best product for you? You must educate yourself about each type of weed product. In this guide, we will take a closer look at different types of cannabis products so you can make an informed purchase the next time you visit your local dispensary.
Know the Different Strains of Marijuana
Before you decide which type of product you want, you must determine which strain will work best for you. Cannabis strains have three categories: indica, sativa, and hybrid. Each one elicits a slightly different reaction in users. Here is what you can expect from each strain:
Indicas have a relaxing effect that helps with pain relief. It’s best for nighttime use.
Sativas have an uplifting effect that stimulates creativity. It’s best for daytime use.
Hybrids are a mix of the two and can create an uplifting or relaxing effect based on their parent strains. These strains can be suitable for daytime or nighttime use.
Most cannabis products follow these rules. However, as growers come up with new strains, you might feel different effects. Indicas may become more energizing while sativas become more mellowing.
These effects will depend on the THC-to-CBD ratio. You can research each strain’s potency before purchasing. Here are the top 30 strongest marijuana strains you can try.
Types of Weed Products
The mentioned strains are available in the following forms.
When most people talk about marijuana, they usually mean the flower, also known as the bud. This is the smokable part of cannabis that growers harvest, dry, and cure before offering for sale.
The flower is one of the most popular types of cannabis products due to its versatility. You can get the more premium ones with large buds at a higher price point and experience a more potent effect. You can also get the smaller buds or shakes for a lower price and a weaker potency.
How to Use Cannabis Flower
You can use the cannabis flower in many ways. You can roll it into a joint or blunt and smoke it through a pipe, bong, or vaporizer. You can even get crafty in the kitchen and make baked goods with it.
Pros of Cannabis Flower
- The flower is one of the most affordable types of cannabis products, making it ideal for users who are on a budget.
- It’s easily accessible in most areas. Some states even allow you to grow it yourself.
- It’s available in various strains, making it more likely for you to find your favorite one.
- It’s one of the types of weed products with a high bioavailability, meaning it can deliver a higher level of cannabinoids to your body.
- Smoking cannabis flower delivers the product straight to your lungs, letting you feel the effects within minutes.
Cons of Cannabis Flower
- You will need equipment like rolling paper or a bong to smoke the cannabis flower.
- There are no standard dosing instructions for smoking these cannabis products. So you might use too much and feel anxious.
- The effects of smoking cannabis flower are short-lived, disappearing within two to four hours.
- Smoking is not the ideal method for those with lung issues.
Cannabis concentrates are highly-potent products that come in solid or liquid forms.
Manufacturers make concentrates by removing excess plant material from the product. They are left with the most impactful parts of the plant, which have all the terpenes and cannabinoids.
Some techniques they use to make these types of weed products include dry processing, pressure/heat processing, and solvent extraction. What makes these cannabis products so potent is their higher proportion of cannabinoids and terpenes. So they are not the ideal choice for everybody.
How to Use Cannabis Concentrates
There are various ways to use cannabis concentrates. Dabbing is a popular method. You can also use vaporizers or dab rigs to smoke the product.
Pros of Cannabis Concentrates
- Concentrates will affect your body quickly, so you can feel the effects right away.
- They are more potent, so you will need less product to feel the desired effects.
Cons of Cannabis Concentrates
- They are not for beginners.
- It’s easy to overuse these cannabis products due to their higher potency.
- You will need special equipment like a vaporizer and a dab rig to use them properly.
Tinctures are another popular type of weed product. Manufacturers make tinctures by steeping the plant in a solvent like alcohol.
Some mistake CBD tinctures with oils. However, CBD tinctures are different from oils. Tinctures are alcohol-based products, while oils include plant extract with a carrier oil.
How to Use Cannabis Tinctures
You can use cannabis tinctures and oils the same way. Most people take these cannabis products sublingually. They put a few drops under their tongues and swallow it after 30 – 60 seconds. This method allows the capillaries under the tongue to quickly absorb the product.
You can also add them to some of your foods. Learn how to use a tincture properly to get the maximum benefits.
Pros of Cannabis Tinctures
- Unlike concentrates, tinctures have a precise dosing method you can use to measure the required amount.
- They come in different flavors you can choose based on your preference.
- You can mix them with food and drinks.
Cons of Cannabis Tinctures
- These cannabis products can create a short or extended high depending on the method you take them.
- They are more expensive than some other types of weed products.
- Some users will not enjoy their taste, which can be due to their alcohol content.
Edibles are ingestible marijuana products. These foods and drinks are infused with cannabis flower or concentrate. The most popular types include brownies, gummies, chocolates, coffee, and tea. They are also available in capsule and tablet form.
To create these cannabis products, manufacturers add cannabis extract to foods through a decarboxylation process. This process changes the chemical structure of cannabinoids and terpenes through heat and activates them. The decarboxylated extract is then added to oil or butter and combined with other ingredients.
How to Use Cannabis Edibles
As the name suggests, you should eat or drink edibles to enjoy their effects. Since they first have to go through your digestive system, it might take a while for you to feel their benefits. When you do, they will be more potent and stay in your system longer. So use an edible dosing guide for this type of cannabis product to have the best experience.
Pros of Cannabis Edibles
- With these types of weed products, you can experience the benefits of cannabis without the adverse effects of smoking.
- Edibles will affect your body for a longer time.
- You don’t need any special tools or equipment to use them.
- Dosing them is straightforward since they come in predetermined dosages.
Cons of Cannabis Edibles
- The first pass effect of the liver will reduce the bioavailability of edibles, meaning less of the product reaches your bloodstream.
- Since edibles must go through the digestive tract first, you will feel the effects later than some other cannabis products. The potency increases over time as your body digests the product.
- Some users don’t feel the effects as quickly as they want. So they take more edibles and experience a more intense high later.
Topicals are cannabis-infused products you can apply directly to your skin. Creams, balms, lotions, patches, and sprays belong to this group. Since they don’t enter the bloodstream, they only provide localized relief without the psychoactive effect.
How to Use Cannabis Topicals
As mentioned, you can apply topicals directly to your targeted area. Cannabis bath products like bath salts are also considered topicals. You can use these types of weed products during a warm bath for full-body relaxation.
Pros of Topicals
- Topicals can provide quick localized relief.
- They come in various formulations. So you will have many options when purchasing.
- THC-free topicals are available in retail stores.
Cons of Topicals
- Topicals can’t give you a euphoric feeling since they don’t enter your bloodstream.
Choose the Best Product for Your Needs
There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to cannabis products. You must consider your personal health needs and track what marijuana strains work best for you to make the most out of this natural supplement.
If you’re ready to reap the health benefits of medical marijuana, we can help! Ozark MMJ Cards offers fast and affordable medical marijuana certification and card renewal services in Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma. If you live in Oklahoma or Missouri, you can get certified for medical marijuana 100% online.
We can help you get your MMJ card quickly so you can enjoy different types of weed products in no time. Contact us now to talk to an expert and begin your certification. If you enjoyed this article, visit our cannabis blog for more fun reads!